Friday, October 17, 2008

blog post 6: Biodata

My full name is Lim Chang Huat Timothy. I'm currently in my third year in the National University of Singapore, majoring in Life Sciences. As far as I can remember, I have lived my life based on a code that was instilled to be by my father and that is "the greater the effort, the sweeter the achievement". When i first got my Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) results. I had to appeal to get into a mediocre secondary school. Those were rough times for me and my family. A rude awakening nevertheless, I have never look back since. I eventually graduated with the 2nd best O' Level results in my school.

During my junior college years, not lacking in responsibility and leadership qualities, I was elected vice-captain of the hockey. My team came in 2nd that year, a feat not achieved in 11 years of my colleges' history. During my national service (NS) I was also selected to captain my division in the inter formation hockey tournament. My team again came in second. Subsequently I was awarded the Formation Colors Award and nominated for best sportsman of the year.

It was also during my junior college years that I decided to earn my allowance by giving tuition to secondary school students. It was tough initially. However, my passion for teaching spurred me on. Besides giving tuition for the past 6 years, I have also taught at student care centers for primary school children and students at juvenile detention centers. My love for teaching is also the main reason why i applied for and was granted a teaching scholarship by the Ministry of Education (MOE).

As a closing statement, i would like to state that I am a very driven person, always accepting challenges. I have had experience in leadership positions and I will take up leadership roles should the need arise.

5 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

This blurb offers very good insights into who you are, Timothy. But as professional "biodata," I'd try to make it a bit cleaner on the language use, and perhaps a tad less "edgy" (like when you use phrases such as "never back down").

Zhiyi said...

Hi Tim, I feel that it's a bit long. The parts you could try focusing on the more important components of your life or shorten certain components. E.g., I was selected as my formation's hockey team captain and received the Formation Colours and Best Sportsman of the Year Awards. Remember, make it concise! This also applies to the other parts of your post. Keep up the good work!

Gwen said...

High five! I did very badly when I was a kid too. My "hack care" attitude caused my parents to be very worried. They even came up with silly lies to trick me into studying.

Enlightenment came when I met this great physics teacher in secondary school. "Physics is beautiful", that was what she said to me!

You had a job already right? Probably this biodata is not important to you after all. :)

timothy said...

hey brad. thanks for the comments. I'll definitely clean up on the language used. I guess this is a really good learning experience to have someone who has "been there done that" to correct you. :)

Wong Liang Fu said...

Hi Tim,

I sense that you love your sport very much. I have to say that team sports has done so much to mould my character, i'm sure it has done the same for you.

Your love for teaching is really admirable! Here's wishing you all the best in your career. May you inspire many lives! =)