Friday, November 7, 2008

blog post 7

It seems like yesterday when I first started writing my first blog post. A blink of an eye accompanied by a pail load of tears and sweat, WA LA! Here I am in week 12 of the course and typing my final blog post. I have learnt so much with regards to effective communication since I took this module. Firstly the route to effective communication is not merely a vocal one. Writing as a mode of communication is equally important. From agendas to minutes, research reports to resumes, I must say that I have to a certain extent gained the necessary skills to confidently communicate my intentions in writing. Not neglecting my reflections on vocal communication skills, I have also learnt the importance of fostering effective inter-cultural communication channels with people from different countries and most importantly in my opinion empathy when it comes to vocal communication. Learning more about non verbal communication cues was interesting as I never knew that there would be so many aspects in this area of study and as such I am more aware of non verbal cues whenever I speak to someone.

I believe that one of the more important skills that I have gained from this module is the knowledge of how to write a job application letter and a resume. Being a 3rd year Biology student, it is even more important that I have these skills as I will be soon be applying for jobs next year when I graduate. The mock interviews that we had really gave me an insight on how interviews are actually carried out in the ‘real world’ and the ‘tricky’ questions that would be asked during an interview. The process of writing the research report was tedious but it gave me the necessary knowledge and experience of writing one. I might have to write a report of this nature when I start working and I am the certain that what I have learn from writing this research report will definitely be of great help.

To conclude, the skills that I have gained from this module are more practical rather than academic. I could not have enjoyed this module any better if it wasn’t for my group members Alethea, Jeremy and Woody. You guys rock! :). Most importantly I would like to thank Brad for his invaluable guidance and his constant words of encouragement. Thanks once again :)

7 comments:

Gwen said...

Hey, I thought you were bonded to MOE? Do you still need the skills to write a resume? Unless you job switch? Haha.

Interesting and detailed reflection.

Cheers

woensusanto said...

Hi,

I definitely agree with you that the experience gained is very much relevant to what we will be using when we enter the work force. This module is surely more useful than many other modules that I took before.

I'm glad that you have enjoyed this module like i do. I think the mock interview is a good experience that may put us in the advantage as compared to those that did not take this module. Cheers!

Zhiyi said...

Hey, I agree that this course is very useful for our future in the workplace. It is one of the reasons why I took this course in the first place. I feel the blogging experience is great too, especially in such a tech-savvy society! I never had a blog before this, and maybe I will continue to write after this module ends.

Chun Siang said...

A detailed reflection that summarized what we have gone through in these 12 weeks.

I am so impressed by the mock interview as well since the expressions of my interviewers and the atmosphere that they created in the interview was so real that I thought I was really interviewed by my potential employer.

Thanks Timothy ! ~

Woody said...

Hey Tim, it was a great experience to have had worked with you in TAJJ. Indeed, you led the team well and always gave us great directions for our project. We definitely learnt a thing or two about communicating effectively through doing this project together. Here's wishing you all the best for you future endavours!

alibooboo said...

Hello Tim,

Look how time flies huh?! Just a few weeks ago, we would have seen each other on the road, and not known who the other party was. It was great having you in my group, and I am glad that we were all able to go through this together!

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Timothy, for providing the wrap up in this post. I'm glad that you have had a positive experience with the module, with our various assignments and with your group. I thought you four did a very fine job relating to each other and working together. It's nice to see interpersonal communication not as theory but as practice.

I do hope some of the skills that we've reviewed will be useful for you. All the best as you prepare to graduate and for your future!